Covers Wireshark and related tools such as the command line TShark application, the offensive tool Metasploit, and the Lua scripting language. Authors J. D. Bullock and Jeff T. Parker show you how Wireshark is used in an actual network with the provided Docker virtual environment, and basic networking and security principles are explained in detail to help you understand the why along with the how.
Using the Kali Linux penetration testing distribution in combination with the virtual lab and provided network captures, you can follow along with the numerous examples. You're also shown how to exploit and expand Wireshark's full functionality by extending Wireshark or integrating it with other security tools.
Authors: J. D. Bullock and Jeff T. Parker
Date: March 2017
Audience: Security professionals
- Understand the basics of Wireshark and the related toolset as well as the Metasploit Framework
- Explore the Lua scripting language and how it can be used to extend Wireshark
- Perform common offensive and defensive security research tasks with Wireshark
- Gain hands-on experience in a Docker virtual lab environment that replicates real-world enterprise networks
- Capture packets using advanced MitM techniques
- Customize the provided source code to expand your toolset
Follow @bookwatchiprog on Twitter or subscribe to I Programmer's Books RSS feed for each day's new addition to Book Watch and for new reviews.
To have new titles included in Book Watch contact BookWatch@i-programmer.info