May Week 3
Written by Editor   
Saturday, 20 May 2023

Every day I Programmer has new material written by programmers, for programmers. This digest gives a summary of the latest content, which this week includes an extract from Programmer's Python: Everything is Data. Artificial Intelligence again dominates the news.

To receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter.

I Programmer Logo Square

May 11 - 17, 2023

Featured Articles

Programmer's Python Data - Iterables
15 May | Mike James
article thumbnail

Iterators are one of the great simplifications of design that make Python so productive. Find out how it all works in this extract from my new book Programmer's Python Everything is Data.

DevSecOps Is Growing, But There’s Room for Improvement
11 May | Jeff Broth
article thumbnail

The need to take security seriously and make testing a priority is increasing accepted by organizations. What are the challenges in adopting a shift left approach? Can AI help combat the threats to cybersecurity?

Banner

Programming News and Views

Stack Overflow Traffic Slumps As Devs Turn to ChatGTP
17 May | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

We are all becoming increasingly are aware of the threat to jobs across many industries from AI-powered technology. However, Stack Overflow has been an immediate casualty as developers discover the extent to which ChatGTP can answer questions to do with code.

Demis Hassabis & Fei-Fei Li Are Up Beat On AI
17 May | Administrator
article thumbnail

With so many doomsayers around at the moment it is almost a refreshing breeze to hear people talk about the positive side of AI. Here Demis Hassabis and Fei-Fei Li talk about AI and Science.

Learn With The Spring Academy
16 May | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

VMWare has launched a project-based learning platform that provides the Spring community with the knowledge and experience necessary to stay ahead of the curve.

Lightbend Launches Distributed Cluster
16 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Lightbend, the company behind Akka, has launched Akka Distributed Cluster. Lightbend produces cloud-native microservices frameworks while Akka Cluster allows for building distributed applications.

AWS Lambda Adopts Java 17
15 May | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

AWS Lambda functions can now use all the new and useful language features as well as performance improvements introduced in Java 17 as part of the Amazon Corretto JDK implementation.

.NET Community Toolkit 8.2 Adds Faster Generators
15 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Microsoft has announced version 8.2 of the .NET Community Toolkit, a collection of helpers and APIs that work for all .NET developers. The developers say this new version includes performance improvements both at runtime and in the MVVM Toolkit source generators, and new code fixers to enhance your productivity.

Google Transforms Photos With Magic Editor
14 May | David Conrad
article thumbnail

At last week's Google I/O Sundar Pichai showcased Magic Editor, an AI-powered feature to improve your photos, which will be coming to selected Pixel phones later in the year.

ACM Awards For Contributions in AI and ML
12 May | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

Bernhard Schölkopf and Stuart Russell are the joint recipients of the 2022 ACM-AAAI Allen Newell Award. They share the $10,000 prize, co-funded by the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence.

World Video Games 2023 Hall Of Fame Entrants
12 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

The latest additions to the World Video Game Hall of Fame have been announced, and fans of immersive worlds with strong heroes and amazing monsters will be delighted to hear that the first of this year's winners is Barbie Fashion Designer.

AI Advances At Google I/O
11 May | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

There was one dominant theme in the announcements made at Google I/O 2023 - the power of Generative Artificial Intelligence to make our lives better. Underpinning all of the advances is PaLM 2, the latest generation of Google's large language model.

Jakarta EE Gets Its Own Project Initializer
11 May | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

About time. Spring had it for ages, and was one of its advantages over Jakarta. Will the new initializer turn the tide in Jakarta's favor?

Banner

Books of the Week

If you want to purchase, or to know more about, any of the titles listed below from Amazon, click on the book jackets at the top of the right sidebar. If you do make Amazon purchases after this, we may earn a few cents through the Amazon Associates program which is a small source of revenue that helps us to continue posting.

Full Review

The Book Of Kubernetes

Author: Alan Hohn
Publisher: No Starch Press
Pages: 384
ISBN: 978-1718502642
Print: 1718502648
Kindle: B09WJYZKHN
Audience: Developers interested in Kubernetes
Rating: 4.5
Reviewer: Kay Ewbank

Containers such as Kubernetes let developers deploy apps in a platform-independent way and this book sets out to explain what containers are and how to use them.

Book Watch

JavaScript All-in-One (For Dummies)

This book is a complete introduction to JavaScript and how it's used in the real world. Chris Minnick serves up JavaScript coding basics before diving into the libraries, frameworks, and runtime environments new and experienced coders need to know. The book starts with the basics of JavaScript for anyone, even if you've never written code before. Then goes into the details of  frameworks - React.js, Vue.js, Svelte, and Node.js.

Amazon Web Services in Action, 3rd Ed (Manning)

This book covers essential best practices for deploying and managing applications on Amazon Web Services. Andreas and Michael Wittig cover techniques for building highly available and scalable architectures and automating deployment with Infrastructure as Code. The revised edition features new chapters on containerization, along with a variety of AWS innovations.

IP2

I Programmer has reported news for over 12 years. You can access I Programmer Weekly back to January 2012 for all the headlines plus the book reviews and articles.

To keep up with the latest news and receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn , where you are welcome to share all our stories.

You can also subscribe to our RSS Feeds - we have one for Full Contents , another for News and also one for Books with details of reviews and additions to Book Watch.

Send your programming press releases, news items or comments to : NewsDesk@i-programmer.info

<ASIN:1871962595>

<ASIN:1718502648>

<ASIN:1119906830>

<ASIN:163343916X>

Last Updated ( Saturday, 20 May 2023 )