May Week 2
Written by Editor   
Saturday, 16 May 2020

If you've not visited the I Programmer webzine (web-based magazine) before, this Weekly Digest gives you a taster. It has links to the latest feature articles and to our wide ranging news with its mix of analysis and comment. It also lists the week's addition to Book Watch Archive and rounds out with the verdict from our Book Review of the Week.

To receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter. 

IP2

May 7 - 13, 2020 

Feature Articles

Applying C - Fixed Point Arithmetic
Harry Fairhead
article thumbnail

If you are working on an IoT project you cannot avoid calculations. Fixed point arithmetic is still occasionally useful but it hardly figures in most accounts of how to do calculations. This extract is from Harry Fairhead's book on using C in an IoT context that is part of the growing I Programmer Library from I/O Press.

WPF .NET Core - Creating Objects With XAML
Mike James
article thumbnail

If you've never encountered WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) you are missing a versatile tool. This article is part of a series devoted to it. XAML can be confusing - especially if you think it is a markup language like HTML. It isn't. XAML is a general purpose object instantiation language. To find out what this means read on. 

Banner

News

HackerEarth Reveals Devs Desires For Change
13 May | Janet Swift
article thumbnail

HackerEarth is sharing the results of its Developer Survey for the first time and provides some interesting findings about the relationship between happiness and work environment and the factors that would help them be more productive. 

Peter Shor Gains Frontiers Of Knowledge Award
13 May | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

Charles Bennett, Gilles Brassard and Peter Shor were recently honored with the BBVA Frontiers of Knowledge Award in Basic Sciences for their outstanding contributions to the field of quantum technologies.

Scylla Adds DynamoDB-Compatible API
12 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

The ScyllaDB team has included a DynamoDB-compatible API to the new release of  the open source NoSQL database. Other improvements in ScyllaDB 4.0.include a more efficient implementation of Lightweight Transactions and support for Change Data capture.

The Android PrivacyBreacher Project
12 May | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

An open source research tool and application that looks into the circumstances in which Android's permission model can be compromised to harm user privacy.

GitHub Strengthens Team Working
11 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

At its virtual conference Satellite 2020, GitHub announced several improvements for developers working in teams, including a discussion tool for chatting outside the codebase, and improved code scanning.

Edsger Dijkstra Born This Day In 1930
11 May | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

Today marks the 90th anniversary of the birth of Edsger Wybe Dijkstra, whose paper "GOTO considered harmful" not only initiated an enduring debate but also set a trend for headlines that extended into other disciplines. He made many other significant contributions that shaped and influenced the field of computer science and is known for witty aphorisms.

Mathematical Art 2020
10 May | David Conrad
article thumbnail

There is a deep affinity between math and art. There is beauty in mathematical symbols and the forms that they describe. Every year the American Mathematical Society (AMS) organizes an art exhibition and awards prizes.

Free Database Schemas From DrawSQL
08 May | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

DrawSQL, a SaaS platform for visualizing databases schemas, has made over a hundred database diagram templates available for free. The high quality collection comprises schemas by real world applications and open source packages like Django, Laravel or Wordpress.

Linux Doubles Market Share
08 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Linux usage more than doubled during April, increasing from a share of 1.36 percent of all desktop operating systems in March to 2.87 percent in April. Much of the increase was seen in Ubuntu.

Python Developer Survey
07 May | Janet Swift
article thumbnail

Insights from 24,000 Python developers from more than 150 different countries reveal that JavaScript is the most common language used in combination with Python, data analysis is the main motivation for using it, and Linux is the most popular OS.

Redis 6 Adds Multithreading I/O
07 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Redis 6 is now generally available with threading for I/O. Until now the in-memory database didn't support multithreading I/O because it would complicate the Redis sharding model, but it's now available as an option and can improve Redis I/O performance to twice that of Redis 5.

Banner

Books of the Week

Added to Book Watch

Full Review

• Google BigQuery: The Definitive Guide

Author: Valliappa Lakshmanan and Jordan Tigani
    Publisher: O'Reilly

Kay Ewbank awarded a top 5-star rating to this book by Google insiders concluding:
    If you work your way through the examples in the book, you'll have a good grasp of just what Google BigQuery can do, and why you might want to use it.

IP2

If you want to delve into I Programmer's coverage of the news over the years, you can access I Programmer Weekly back to January 2012. 

To keep up with the latest news and receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn, where you are welcome to share all our stories. 

You can also subscribe to our RSS Feeds - we have one for Full Contents, another for  News and also one for Books with details of reviews and additions to Book Watch. 

<ASIN:1871962617>

<ASIN:1871962609>

<ASIN:1492044466>

<ASIN:1680506455>

<ASIN:149204427X>

<ASIN:0262044013>

Last Updated ( Saturday, 16 May 2020 )