May Week 1
Written by Editor   
Saturday, 09 May 2020

If you've not visited the I Programmer webzine (web-based magazine) before, the Weekly Digest gives you a taster. It has links to the latest feature articles and to our wide ranging news with its mix of analysis and comment. It also lists the week's addition to Book Watch Archive and rounds out with the verdict from our Book Review of the Week. 

To receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter. 

IP2

April 30 - May 6, 2020  

Feature Articles

Professional Credentials For Computer Science Careers
Sue Gee
article thumbnail

Software Development is a career where you can thrive without professional certificates. On the other hand it can be personally fulfilling as well as financially advantageous. If you have extra time on your hands due to the Covid-19 lockdown, it could be just the time to embark on a training course.

Maurice Wilkes and EDSAC
Historian
article thumbnail

The UK played a significant role in the early development of the computer and not just the theory. Real machines were designed and built using home grown components, something that no computer firm could attempt today, and there was even a good helping of academic and commercial co-operation of the sort that governments have been trying to foster ever since.

Banner

News

C Is Number One Language Again
06 May | Harry Fairhead
article thumbnail

Yes, I know its all meaningless and you can't base any decision on it, but given I'm a C groupie you can't expect me to ignore the latest Tiobe index which puts C back at number one! It displaces JavaScript and we can still expect Python to dislodge them both before long.

GitHub Announces Remote Open Source Internship Initiative
06 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

GitHub and Major League Hacking (MHL) have set up the MHL Fellowship, a remote internship program to support the next generation of developers along with open source projects.

Enrollment Deadline For AI & ML MasterTrack Certificate
06 May | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

If you want to earn credit towards a Master's Degreee - or just augment your resume with a credential at Masters-degree level Couresa has a new option -  the AI and Machine Learning MasterTrack Certificate, a subset of the Arizona State University Master of Computer Science. Enrollment for the next session is open until August 6.

Learn To Code with JetBrains Academy
05 May | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

With tracks on Java, Kotlin and Python and with many hands-on projects, the new JetBrains Academy  is currently free under an Early Access Program. This is an opportunity not to be missed.

VS Online Rebranded As Codespaces
05 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Microsoft has changed the name of Visual Studio Online to Visual Studio Codespaces. The reasoning is to make it clear that this is more than just an editor in the browser. Along with the new name, Microsoft says it has added new features and lowered prices.

The Robot Panda Problem - Fun CS Theory
04 May | Mike James
article thumbnail

This isn't really news, but I think it's fun and deserves to be better known. It's the robot panda problem, otherwise known as the Bamboo Garden Trimming (BGT) problem. What is special about it is that it is easy to state and understand and very approachable whether you are an amateur or a serious computer scientist.

Daily Rust Use Increases, Survey Finds
04 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

The results of the fourth annual Rust Survey have been released, covering the responses of almost 4,000 developers. Rust  began life at Mozilla and has been around for ten years. The latest release is Rust 1.42.

Free Virtual Conference AI For Healthcare From Udacity
03 May | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

To complement the launch of its new AI for Healthcare nanodegree program, Udacity is presenting its first-ever virtual conference that will explore how AI can be applied to healthcare. AI for Healthcare in the Time of COVID-19 takes place on May 12th & 13th.

Python Language Summit 2020 - Python Typing
02 May | Mike James
article thumbnail

Python Summit has gone virtual for obvious reasons. There are lots of interesting talks, but the one that piqued my interest was on the gradual addition of gradual typing to Python. I was going to call the news "Python typing considered harmful", but then I thought better of it.

Virtual Microsoft Build Focused On Developers, Free To All
01 May | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

This year's BUILD conference is not going to be the event that was originally billed. Instead of an in-person, 2-day event with tickets costing $2,395 it has been transformed into a 48-hour digital experience that is free and open to all. More importantly the focus of the event will be firmly on developers. 

OpenCL 3 Takes Step Back
01 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

The Khronos Group has announced OpenCL 3.0, the latest version of its open framework for programming GPUs and other compute accelerators.

IBM's Elyra AI Toolkit
30 Apr | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

IBM has announced the Elyra AI Toolkit, a new open source project that extends the JupyterLab user interface to simplify the development of data science and AI models.

W3C Moves To Standardize IoT
30 Apr | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has announced official recommendations for Web of Things Architecture and Web of Things Thing Descriptions. They are designed to make it easier to integrate across Internet of Things platforms and applications. 

Banner

Books of the Week

Added to Book Watch

Full Review

• JavaScript In Easy Steps, 6th Ed

Mike James awarded a rating of 3.5 out of 5 to this short introduction to JavaScript intended for those already acquainted with HTML

IP2

If you want to delve into I Programmer's coverage of the news over the years, you can access I Programmer Weekly back to January 2012. 

To keep up with the latest news and receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn, where you are welcome to share all our stories. 

You can also subscribe to our RSS Feeds - we have one for Full Contents, another for  News and also one for Books with details of reviews and additions to Book Watch. 

<ASIN:1871962609>

<ASIN:1871962617>

<ASIN:1683924959>

<ASIN:1484257340>

<ASIN:1789955750>

<ASIN:1840788771>

Last Updated ( Saturday, 16 May 2020 )