SQLite For WinRT
Written by Kay Ewbank   
Friday, 13 July 2012

The new version of SQLite has added support for WinRT and Metro style applications for Windows 8, and Windows 8 Mobile will also support the lightweight database.

SQLite is an in-process library that implements a self-contained, serverless, transactional SQL database engine. It doesn’t have a separate server process, and it reads and writes directly to ordinary disk files.

sqlite

The entire SQL database with multiple tables, indexes, triggers, and views, is contained in a single disk file. SQLite comes as a very small programming library using less than 275K, but you don’t get a client, just the engine that you have to wrap as a WinRT component in order to make use of it in apps written in .NET or JavaScript.

sqlitevsscreen

To use the latest version from .NET, there’s a LINQ wrapper in SQLite-Net (https:// github.com/praeclarum/sqlite-net) that avoids the need for you to write your own wrapper.

If you’re writing in JavaScript, SQLite3-WinRT (https://github.com/doo/SQLite3-WinRT) provides a suitable wrapper.

If you’re interested in finding out more, Tim Heuer, XAML Program Manager for Microsoft, discusses how to use the database for Metro style apps in his blog

sqlite

More Information

Download SQLite

raspberry pi books

Comments

or email your comment to: comments@i-programmer.info

To be informed about new articles on I Programmer, install the I Programmer Toolbar, subscribe to the RSS feed, follow us on, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Linkedin,  or sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Banner

Android 15 Developer Preview Updated
25/03/2024

Google has released Android 15 Developer Preview 2 with changes including better handling of automatic language switching and updates for OpenJDK 17.

Grafana 11 Improves Metrics
11/04/2024

Grafana Labs, creators of the Grafana open-source metrics analytics and visualization suite, has announced the preview release of Grafana 11 with improvements to make it easier to view metrics, and ch [ ... ]

More News

Last Updated ( Thursday, 12 July 2012 )