March Week 2
Saturday, 16 March 2024

If you've not visited I Programmer before, this Weekly Digest gives you a taster. It has links to the latest feature articles and to our wide ranging news with its mix of analysis and comment. It also lists the week's addition to Book Watch Archive and our Book Review of the Week.

To receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter.

I Programmer Logo Square

March 7 - 13, 2024

Featured Articles

Master The Pico WiFi: Random Numbers
11 Mar | Harry Fairhead & Mike James
article thumbnail

Random numbers are the basis of most security, but they are suprisingly difficult to create. This is an extract from our intermediate level book on the Pico's Wifi capabilities.

Super Mario - Nintendo Goes Forward
07 Mar | Historian
article thumbnail

Nintendo graduated from a playing card manufacturer to a games console maker but where to go next? The answer was into software and so Mario was born.

Banner

Programming News and Views

Open Source Key To Expansion of IoT & Edge
13 Mar | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

According to the 2023 Eclipse IoT & Edge Commercial Adoption Survey Report, last year saw a surge of IoT adoption among commercial organizations across a wide range of industries. Open source technologies are crucial to this expansion with 75% of organizations are actively incorporating open source into their deployment plans.

Flox Releases Flox Hub
13 Mar | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Flox has announced that its Command Line Interface (CLI) and FloxHub are now generally available. The CLI is open source and FloxHub is free for anyone to use.

AWS Adds Support For Llama2 And Mistral To SageMaker Canvas
12 Mar | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

As part of its effort to enable its customers to use generative AI for tasks such as content generation and summarization, Amazon has added these state of the art LLMs to SageMaker Canvas.

TypeScript 5.4 Adds NoInfer Type
12 Mar | Ian Elliot
article thumbnail

TypeScript 5.4 has been released, with the addition of a NoInfer utility type alongside preserved narrowing in closures following last assignments.

GitHub Enterprise Server Adds Deployment Rollout Controls
11 Mar | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Version 3.12 of GitHub Enterprise Server, the self-hosted version of GitHub that organizations can install on their own servers, has been released with support for restricting deployment rollouts.

Couchbase's Coding Assistant Goes GA
11 Mar | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

Capella iQ, the AI coding assistant for developers that makes interacting with Couchbase using natural language possible, has gone from private beta to being generally available.

Crazy Clocks
10 Mar | Harry Fairhead
article thumbnail

It's that time again when the clocks change and  time is of the essence and I indulge my interest in crazy clocks. I am always surprised that there are still new ideas for how to display the time - but there are and they never fail to delight. This time I have three marble operated clocks for you to consider.

Five Tips for Managing Hybrid Development Teams
08 Mar | Gilad David Maayan
article thumbnail

Managing hybrid development teams can be challenging, but  can also be a rewarding endeavor. Here are some tips to follow to ensure success.

100 Episodes of 5mins of Postgres
08 Mar | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

The popular PostgreSQL explainer series is celebrating its 100th release and beyond. Let's take a look at what it makes it so special.

Microsoft Is Ending Support For Windows Android Subsystem
07 Mar | Mike James
article thumbnail

Microsoft has announced that it is ending support for running Android applications under Windows 11. The support will cease next year. This announcement was followed rapidly by Amazon announcing the end of Amazon Appstore on Windows 11.

Couchbase Adds Vector Search
07 Mar | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Couchbase is adding support for vector search across its entire product line including Capella, Enterprise Server, and Mobile. Support has also been added for retrieval-augmented generation (RAG) techniques through large language models (LLMs) via LangChain and LlamaIndex interfaces.

Banner

Books of the Week

If you want to purchase, or to know more about, any of the titles listed below from Amazon, click on the book jackets at the top of the right sidebar. If you do make Amazon purchases after this, we may earn a few cents through the Amazon Associates program which is a small source of revenue that helps us to continue posting.

Full Review

Python for Data Science

Author: Yuli Vasiliev
Publisher: No Starch
Date: August 2022
Pages: 240
ISBN: 978-1718502208
Audience: Python developers interested in data analysis
Rating: 3
Reviewer: Mike James
Python seems to be the goto for data science, so why not read about it?

Book Watch

Foundations of Data Science with Python (CRC Press)

This book introduces the fundamentals of data science, including data manipulation and visualization, probability, statistics, and dimensionality reduction. John M. Shea uses a computational-first approach to data science: the reader will learn how to use Python and the associated data-science libraries to visualize, transform, and model data, as well as how to conduct statistical tests using real data sets.

JavaScript Crash Course (No Starch)

This book is a fast-paced introduction to programming with JavaScript. Nick Morgan starts with fundamental programming concepts, such as variables, arrays, objects, functions, conditionals, loops, and classes. Aided by examples and hands-on exercises, he then builds on this foundation and combines JavaScript with HTML and CSS to create interactive web applications.

Build Your Own Robot: Using Python, CRICKIT, and Raspberry PI (Manning)

This book is a DIY guide to bringing your first robot to life with cheap and basic components. Marwan Alsabbagh introduces the exciting world of robotics in a way that’s fun and affordable, showing how to build your own real robot with easy-to-find hardware and free open source software. Plus, all the components you need can be assembled with simple tools like a screwdriver.

IP2

I Programmer has reported news for over 12 years. You can access I Programmer Weekly back to January 2012 for all the headlines plus the book reviews and articles.

To keep up with the latest news and receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn , where you are welcome to share all our stories.

You can also subscribe to our RSS Feeds - we have one for Full Contents , another for News and also one for Books with details of reviews and additions to Book Watch.

Send your programming press releases, news items or comments to : NewsDesk@i-programmer.info

<ASIN:1871962811>

<ASIN:1718502206>

<ASIN:1032350423>

<ASIN:1718502265>

<ASIN:1633438457>

Last Updated ( Saturday, 16 March 2024 )